Friday, June 19, 2015

Day 3 (June 11) Reflections

Krystyn
I woke up this morning and went to Mass, then we had breakfast and the eggs were amazing. Sometimes I feel bad when we go inside the house to eat, knowing that the people on the outside might only get one meal a day. I spent a lot of my day with one little girl, but I couldn't figure out her name. She sat on my shoulders on the walk back from the soccer field.  She didn't have any shoes on, so I figured it was the least I could do.
We had a dance practice for when we take the gifts up at Mass on Sunday. We also played a soccer game, we lost, but I scored a goal. I slept well last night, so hopefully it'll be the same tonight. It's weird to think that we only have two full days left in Carrefour Sanon. I don't want to leave. I've not only bonded with the Haitians, but also with the people that I came on this trip with. If I knew more Creole I could probably stay here forever.

Ethan
Today was our first full day here at Carrefour Sanon.  Zach, Nathan, Jack, and I went to Mass this morning, which started at 7 o'clock.  The Mass was hard to follow, considering it was celebrated in Creole.  However, Father did his best to translate for us, and it definitely made me feel very welcomed.  After that, we had breakfast.  It can be hard to eat knowing that there are children right outside your door who don't get to eat a much in one day as we are for that one meal.  After breakfast, the entire group went to watch the hundreds of kids assemble for school 
They sang their pledge and  and a song of welcome and thanks for us, prayed, and then Martin introduced all of us to the children. Except my grandfather, Ron.  He doesn't have to be introduced.  Everyone already knows his name and says hello to him everywhere he goes.  In Carrefour Sanon, he is famous.  While the kids were in school, we went on a hike to see some more of the community.  We saw other schools which were not nearly as nice as St. Charles.  I thought it was really fascinating seeing some of the local hangouts. 
There was a small tent-like thingy where they listen to music and play cards or dominoes together.  Also on this journey, we saw some magnificent views. 
God has blessed the Haitians with beautiful scenery and landscape.  It is truly amazing.
The Marketplace in Carrefour Sanon

No comments:

Post a Comment